Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Schezwan Rice


Few days back I took a day off from work and utilized it in the best possible way I could. I did whatever I had planned for that day but amid of all the chores, suddenly a thought ran through my mind - What to have for lunch? Well, I opened my Fridge and found some cute little veggies peeping through the vegetable basket. 


After seeing those I thought of preparing Noodles (usually that's the best option I get when I want to finish off my veggies). But with the flick of mind I thought why not Schezwan Rice! It was completely impromptu preparation but the end product was so palatable that I couldn't resist the blogger inside me to click few pics to blog. 


Schezwan Rice is one of the most loved dishes in Indo-Chinese cuisine. You can find this dish in almost every Menu Card of Indo-Chinese restaurant. If you love a little spicy food I'm sure you will love this dish too. I'm not a full-time spicy food lover but I do like it sometimes. It's hot, spicy and completely irresistible. 


The prime ingredient of this recipe is the: Schezwan Sauce. If you have it handy then making Schezwan Rice is like a child's play. I like to add lot of veggies to my Fried Rice. You can make this recipe completely Vegetarian or add meat of your choice. This time I added few shrimps. 

So, let's start with the recipe: 



Ingredients:


1. Cooked Basmati Rice: 1 1/2 cup
2. Deshelled and Deveined Shrimps: 5-6 
3. Veggies of your choice (Carrots, Capsicums, French beans, Cauliflower, Peas etc)
4. Onions (chopped): 1 cup
5. Garlic (chopped): 1 tbsp
6. Ginger (chopped): 1 tbsp
7. Schezwan Sauce: 2 tbsp
8. Soya Sauce: 1 tbsp
9. Chili Garlic Sauce: 1 tbsp
10. Vinegar: 1 tbsp
11. Salt to taste
12. Oil as required

Method:


1. Wash and soak the basmati rice in water for 10-15 mins. Drain out the water and spread the rice on a clean plate. 

2. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan on medium-high heat and toss the veggies very lightly so that they retain their crunchiness. 

3. In the same pan add more oil if required. Let it melt and then add the shrimps. Add a pinch of salt and fry them from both the sides. Take care not to over fry them. Take them out on a plate.

4. In the same pan now add more oil if required and when the oil is hot enough add finely chopped onions. Fry them until they become translucent. Add finely chopped ginger and garlic. Cook them until the raw flavor is gone.

5. Now add the fried veggies and shrimps. Its time to add our sauces: schezwan sauce, soy sauce, chilli-garlic sauce and vinegar. Mix well so that it coats all the veggies and shrimps. 

6. Now add the cooked  Basmati rice in parts and stir it gently ensuring it doesn't break. Mix and toss the rice with the veggies.

7. Repeat the process until all the rice is finished and the rice grains are coated with the sauce. Season with salt and pepper. Check the seasoning and adjust it accordingly. 

8. Garnish the Schezwan Rice with chopped green parts of spring onions. Serve hot with Dry Chilli Chicken or Veg Manchurian or any side dish of your choice.


Note:


For regular updates just click the "Like" button on my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Flavors-Of-My-Plate/737185573034586?ref=hl

You can also follow me on:
Twitter: https://twitter.com/flavorsofmyplat

If you want the recipe in Bengali, Gujarati, Hindi, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu (or any other language) click on the Google Translate button on the left side.

No comments:

Post a Comment